Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Honoring Fulmer

I didn't realize this was going to be so hard to say goodbye. Watching Phil Fulmer's emotional, sometimes defiant, press conference yesterday was hard. Really hard. I gotta admit that I was getting choked up, along with him. There is no doubt that this man has given his life to UT. He has taken this program to the highest of highs. He successfully recruited Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, Eric Berry and tons of other NFLers. He's won 75% of his games, and done it with class.

He's not perfect (see second half of 2001 championship game vs. LSU or coddling of Kelley "The Future" Washington for specifics) but he has poured everything he has into the university I love. And while I was, and still am, among the many that think it's time for a change, it's still a bittersweet day.

I'm reading a book by legendary UCLA basketball coach, John Wodden right now (One on One with John Wooden). Today I came across a paragraph in the book that sums up my feelings towards Coach Fulmer perfectly:

"The coach who is committed to the Christlike life will be helping youngsters under his supervision to develop wholesome disciplines of body, mind and spirit that will build character worthy of his Master's calling. He must set the proper example by work and by deed. It is not easy."

No, it's definitely not. Nothing about this situation, or what Coach Fulmer has accomplished, is easy.

No comments: