Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Turducken Day!

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. It's all inclusive. Any and everyone can be thankful for something. It's not really a "religious" holiday, so there seems to be less hang ups for many people to celebrate it (See the upcoming PC need to say "Happy Holidays" rather than "Merry Christmas" over the next month). And any day built around family, football and food, is a-otay in my book. (And the fact that My 'Boys worked out some deal in the '60's so that they are ALWAYS one of the teams playing on Thanksgiving Day is an added bonus. America's Team, indeed!)



Yep. Thanksgiving is pretty much perfect. But here in America, you've got to admire the spirit of always wanting to take things up to the next level. How else could you explain the recent Thanksgiving phenomenon: The Turducken.

Don't get me wrong. I love turkey. And chicken. And duck. But the need to roll all three into one? I don't get that. I'm sure the original idea to do it was developed by the same marketing genius that pitched the "McDonald's Breakfast Burrito." Three perfectly good words that should NEVER EVER go together.

So since the Turducken is (hopefully) about at the end of its 15 minutes of fame, I thought I'd come up with some more "Thanksgiving Trios" that could fill the gluttonious void in years to come. Here's what I got:

The Hot Durger:
What's more American that Hot Dogs and Burgers? Jamming them into one delicious meat explosion. (Alternate name ideas: "The Bypass Burger" or "Meatapalooza".)



The Seven Layer Chocolate Pancake: Take seven different types of chocolate (there are seven different types of chocolate, right?) Layer each one between a pancake (or "flapjack" if you're in the Gatlinburg area). Add some whipcream, cherries and a cup of syrup, and enjoy this mountain of awesomeness. Oh wait, they're already serving this thing at I-Hop.



The Fruit Loop Caesar Salad: Add the not nutrious but delicious sugary cereal to any boring old salad. It negates the health benefits and gains the approval of everyone's favorite Tucan.




Roast Beef Jerky:
For those on the go who want an entire Roast Beef rolled into one easy to carry stick of meat. The kids will love it!



Happy Thanksgiving, y'all!
lance

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someday I gotta get me a bite of one of them thar turduckens. I can't say I've lived a full and happy life until I make it so.