Monday, March 3, 2008

Psalm 19:1


"The heavens tell of the Glory of God."
Psalm 19: 1

I think of Psalm 19:1 as God's business card. Anyone can take a look at it to see what God can do.

Or rather look up. Or look all around. The heavens, the changing seasons, all that's delicate, intricate and breathtaking about this beautiful planet we live on has God's fingerprints all over it.

I think that's what has always bugged me when people say things like "I wish God would speak...like he did in the Old Testament." To that I suggest, maybe God IS speaking all the time. It's just that we aren't listening. Just because it isn't an audible "Voice of God" from the clouds doesn't mean he doesn't have a lot to say. Our challenge is learning to hear.

Take nature alone. Who hasn't hasn't been inspired by a beautiful sunrise or sunset? I live near the Smoky Mountains, so a drive through them in the fall when the leaves are changing is very much a spiritual journey. I've never been to the Grand Canyon, but my wife and I once took a morning train through the Swiss Alps. Un-be-lievable! The sheer enormity and beauty of that creation can still overpower me when I think about it. I've only seen a shooting star once. I was 12 and was spending the night with a friend. It was so surreal. It still puts a smile on my face to think of how awesome that was to see.

There are a billion other intricate details about this fantastic place we call home that to me are as awe-inspiring as they are mind-boggling.

Our globe's weight has been estimated at SIX SEXTILLION TONS! Yet, it is precisely tilted at 23 degrees. A degree or two the other way and bye-bye life on this planet. Our globe is constantly spinning at a rate of one-thousand miles per hour. Yet all of us remain grounded. Literally speaking, of course.

Every square yard of the Sun is constantly emitting the equivalent of 450 eight-cylinder automobile engines. At a distance of 93 million miles away from our earth. Yet, as powerful as our Sun is, it is but one minor star in the 100 BILLION orbs that make up our Milky Way Galaxy.

Everyone's favorite astro physicist, Stephen Hawking says that we live on "a minor planet of a very average star in the outer suburb of one of a hundred billion galaxies." In light of all that, maybe our day to day problems really aren't that big. But our God, who made it all, certainly is.

No comments: