Monday, March 10, 2008

My Argument With His Argument


I'm a huge fan of The Office. So I was thrilled when I received my new copy of Best Life magazine, to see it had an article with Ricky Gervais, creator of the original BBC version of the show.

I became even more interested when I saw the title of his article: "My Argument With God: How I went from Jesus-loving Christian to fun-loving infidel...in one afternoon."

Hmmm....this should be good.

So here's his story: Gervis starts by saying: "I loved Jesus. He was my hero." Gervais grew up in a poor, working-class district outside of London. One day, when he was 8 years old he says was drawing a crucifixion scene as part of his Bible-studies homework. His 19 year old brother, Bob, walked in and said "Why do you believe in God?"

Gervais says that he could sense his mom panic and say "Bob!" in a tone meant for Bob to keep quiet. He says that he realized that his brother didn't believe, and deep down, his mother didn't either. He says he thought about it and "within an hour" he was an atheist.

Wow. Is this all it took?

The most important decision of his life. Made in an hour. At the ripe age of 8.

This has to be the most questionable "reason" for turning into an an atheist that I've ever heard. It's certainly the laziest. I couldn't help but think that I doubt Mr. Gervais has been this non-chalant in any other area of his life.

He's an award-winning comic and started one of the funniest TV shows ever. But would he have "given it all up" if his brother had asked him why he wanted to be a writer?

I can just see him, working on his first treatment of The Office in his college dorm room, when his brother Bob calls up:

Ricky: Hello?

Bob: Hey, Ric...whatcha doing?

Ricky: Not much, bro. Just finishing up a manuscript...

Bob: Why do you wanna be a writer, Ric?

Ricky: AAAAAAAAARRrRrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh! That's IT! I quit!!!!!!!!!!!


Seriously. Is this all it took? I have no idea if Mr. Gervais is in a long-term relationship, but let's just say he's been dating the girl of his dreams, when they have "The talk."

You know the one. The "Where is this relationship going?" talk.

Girl of Dreams: I had a great time tonight.

Ricky: So did I.

Girl of Dreams: Ricky...We need to talk about us...

Ricky: AAAAAAAAARRrRrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhh! That's IT! I quit!!!!!!!!!!!


I understand that people can face trials and tribulations that shake their faith to the core, or cause them to abandon it completely. An abusive spouse. The death of a loved one, or God forbid, the death of a child. Addicitions in all shapes and sizes. A horrible event like the holoucaust or 9/11. There are tons of burdens that I can't imagine bearing.

I also truly believe that it's not only ok to question God, but he wants us to do so. It's ok for us to have doubts and wrestle with God - not accepting what others tell us hook, line and sinker.

But frankly, I don't buy that either was the case in Mr. Gervais' conversion to atheism. Sounds like while he grew up working-class, he had a mom and dad that provided, and had him interested in faith. Then he bought into some peer pressure from his brother and just made a lazy, short-sighted decision. His brother wasn't doing it, so neither should he. At the age of 8, you're not really prepared to make those kind of long-term decisions, so I can see why his mom interveined.

The real problem I have is not that he made that choice then, but why would he still be ok with than now as a middle aged man?

He says in the article:"I no longer needed a reason for my existence, just a reason to live. And imagination, free will, love, humor, fun, music, sports, beer and pizza are all good enough reasons for living."

Huh?

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE all those things. (My wife might say the sports/beer/pizza thing a little TOO much.) but I don't think any or all those things are truly a "reason to live." I mean, have you ever seen someone's tombstone say "Here lies a true pizza lover..." or a person dies and they leave their estate to....beer?.

No, it's the humans that do those things, that create those things, that love and build those relationships that matter. So my question to Mr. Gervais is: where does THAT come from? All the things he listed as "reasons for living" are fun. I love them all myself. But I'd just like to ask Mr. Gervais, what happens when all the fun comes to an end? Which it will. There just has to be more to existence than sports scores, pizza or even really, really funny sit-coms.

A few other points from his essay spoke volumes. The fact that he included the description "fun-loving infidel" in the title and ended by saying "I hope I haven't offended anyone with this article. Okay, that's a lie." especially.

You haven't offended this Christian, Mr. Gervais. Just proven yourself to have given up way too easily. Your loss.

No comments: