Monday, March 31, 2008

Lessons from Dr. Seuss


Over the weekend I came across this quote from the one and only, Dr. Seuss:

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I love this. How many times do we look back "at the good ol' days" in ways that robs today of being all it can be? I think it's totally healthy to look back and enjoy the places you've been (to quote one of the finest Dr. Suess books, in my book). But we should do it in a way that puts a smile on our heart, not a frown on our face.

Chalk this down to another great lesson I've learned over my lifetime from Dr. Seuss. A few others:

1) Try new things. I mean if Sam's friend can FINALLY get around to giving the green eggs and ham a shot, shouldn't I be open to trying new things?

2) Sometimes things don't work out. I always loved the part in Oh The Places You'll Go...when it gets really real. It says you're going to conquer the world...nothing's going to slow you down...everything's gonna work out your way...EXCEPT sometimes it's not. So brilliant. So true.

3) Take a bet...and make it fun. Dr. Seuss's publisher, wagered $50 that Seuss could not write a book using only fifty different words. The result of the bet? Suess wrote Green Eggs and Ham using just fifty different words, 49 of which are monosyllabic. Oh, and it became the 4th most popular children's book of all time. No confirmation on whether his publisher paid off the bet or not. I would hope so.

And the most important...

4) Watch out for the nupboards in the cupboards.

No comments: