Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer Reading

This Summer, I haven't been blogging much due to the job change and, to be honest, the well has been pretty dry. Those who know me would say that my well has always been dry. Nonetheless, I will get back to a more regular blog posting schedule soon. At least that's my goal. I have been reading some excellent books of late that I wanted to recommend:

Hear No Evil by Matthew Paul Turner.This guy is a huge music geek, has a popular blog Jesus Needs New PRand has lived in Nashville. It's just like me, except for the having a popular blog part. Anyways, he's a tremendously funny writer. His chapter where he dedcided as a teenager that God was calling him to "become the Christian Michael Jackson" is one for the ages.

Nine Ways God Always Speaks by Mark Herringshaw and Jennifer Schucmann. I read this duo's first book and was blown away by the depth of the stories and inspiration it generated. This book picks up where the last one left off, and tackles the great struggle of trying to truly know and hear when God speaks. As the book says, that whether you are a Christian or not, many people have unusual experiences, conditions, or encounters that have left them wondering, Is God trying to tell me something? The authors say that God does indeed communicate with us all the time. We just need to learn how to hear his voice. This book will help you tune in to the right frequency to hear what God is saying to you everyday.

Jesus Calling Devotional by Sarah Young. Simply one of the daily devotionals I've ever read. After many years of writing in her prayer journal, missionary Sarah Young decided to "listen" to God with pen in hand, writing down whatever she believed He was saying to her. It was awkward at first, but gradually her journaling changed from monologue to dialogue. She knew her writings were not inspired as Scripture is, but they were helping her grow closer to God. Others were blessed as she shared her writings, until people all over the world were using her messages. They are written from Jesus’ point of view, thus the title Jesus Calling. Highly recommended.

What have you been reading this summer? I'd love to hear about it...












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lance-The first book on my summer reading list..."Ruthless Trust", by Brennan Manning. You must read this book. After reading about your 16 weeks, you would totally get it. Thinking of you guys. -Anna Lisa