Friday, July 2, 2010

Looking Back...

I am happy to report that I have a J-O-B! In fact I am finishing up my first week at the new gig. So far the people could not be cooler and the professional opportunities for me on the horizon are tremendous. I am truly thankful.

So what have I learned through all this? As I look back on the rollercoaster of unemployment over the past four months I am more convinced than ever at one thing:

Life is hard but God is good.

My lastest bout of unemployment was no picnic. It depressed me at times, caused major friction in my house and even brought me to tears in a very popular bakery.

But through it all, God provided.

He provided friends who dropped what they were doing to help me brainstorm job leads or send gift cards for groceries in the mail.

He provided a family that drew closer to me and, with apologies to Bob Marley, ensured that everything was gonna be all right.

He provided a series of freelance jobs to help me make ends meet - in fact of the 16 weeks since I was laid off I ended up working 14 of those weeks as a freelancer.

He provided great outlets to relieve stress, including my weekly run with my basketball brotherhood, my weekly coffee with my Silas, and a unexpected retreat to the Mountains with my lovely wife.

No mortgage payments were missed. No child went unfed. While I in no way want to diminsh how scary this was, or what someone going through an unexpected job loss is feeling, I have to check myself by asking: "What was I so worked up for?"

Probably to learn the lesson of trust. To be equipped to help another who walks down this path in the future. To learn the value of what makes me truly rich - a loving family, unbelievable friends and a loving God that has my back no matter what.

If you're reading this, no doubt you have helped me through a prayer, a job lead or just by making me smile. For that I am truly grateful. THANK YOU!!!!

God bless,
Lance

No comments: