Monday, February 11, 2008

Psalm 32

I came across a great quote in reading my Lenten devotion guide this morning. It comes from Sister Katherine Howard who says:

"Lent and life are not so much about what to accomplish, but what God does in us with our consent."

What a great reminder! It's not about how "perfect" I make things or how many things I can give up on this Lenten journey. It's about what God has done, is doing and will do. A different take on "letting go and letting God" but equally powerful.

Today's Psalm is a pitch-patch from Psalm 32 (mostly from verses 1 - 11)

Blessed are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed are those whom the Lord does not hold guilty, and whose spirit there is no deceit.....I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord, then you forgave the guilt of my sin."

Confessing my sins is many times the last thing I want to do, or feel like I need to do. But this passage reminds me that nothing could be further from the truth. Because as painful as it can be for me to do it, it is God that does the heavy lifting in forgiving me and loving me, despite all the ways I try to screw it up.

It's not about what I can do, but what he will do, if I can just get out of the way.

No comments: