Monday, April 26, 2010

Hypocrites

We had some tree work done at our house this past weekend. Tree guys are definitely a different breed. One of the guys doing the work told me how he eats poison ivy leaves to "build up his immunity."

Like I said, these cats are a different breed.

But the poison ivy eating tree guy wasn't even the most memorable one. That distinction goes to a guy named Brian.

Brian has stage-4 cancer in his esophagus. While he still has a full head of hair, he is undergoing aggressive chemotherapy and radiation. He is rail thin and it looked as if every step he took caused him great pain.

Yet here he was, helping the guys up in the trees clear the brush and carry the branches out of the road. I felt bad that he was doing this work, but he insisted. Said "I don't really want to do it, but I want to do it..."

I knew exactly what he meant.

When they were done with the job and about to head out, I had a few moments to talk. I asked him about his cancer and what the doctors were saying. He said the outlook wasn't good, but he was going to fight with all he had.

I told him I'd be praying for him. He paused and looked down for several moments.

When he raised his head, he had a fire in his eyes that I hadn't seen all day. "You know, it's a damn shame that most churches are full of hypocrites."

I asked him what he meant and he told me a story that pains my heart just to think about it. He said he has been going back to church and trying to get more involved. This church that he has been attending has some type of mission to provide food and clothes for those in need. I got the sense that Bryan was definitely a hand to mouth type of guy, not that there's anything wrong with that. But he didn't have a home, and it seemed like whatever money he made was from the occasional odd job. Add in the stress and expense of dealing with stage 4 cancer and, well, the outlook isn't bright.

It seemed that Brian had gone to this church several times. He had been losing a great amount of weight, due to the cancer. He was rail thin when I saw him so this seemed very legit. Evidently the person at the church charged with giving out the clothes told Bryan he had "used up his allotment" and he wasn't welcome to any more items.

Now, I realize there are two sides to every story. And every church and non-profit has to gracefully deal with those who are out to game the system.

But really? There had to be a better way to deal with this situation. ESPECIALLY in a church. Somehow I can't see Jesus getting caught up with the fact someone in need had already passed through the line once.

Brian said it best, "I told the guy I'm already losing my life...now you're telling me that I can't even get a free pair of jeans that fit?! You need to find Jesus in your life!!"

Pray for Brian. That he his given strength as he battles his cancer. And that the next time he has an encounter in church, it is marked with more grace, mercy and compassion.

No comments: