Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Day My Friend Died

Few people on the planet are cooler than my friend Josiah Morgan. Unbelievable guy. 1 year ago today he had a horrific motorcycle crash. Through love, support and the grace of God he is alive and well. I believe he ran a half marathon the other week. Go figure. Below is a testimony about his experience he just posted on Facebook. A great reminder that today is a gift from God that is to be enjoyed. So thankful you're still with us, Josiah!

The Day I Died by Josiah Morgan
Few people experience tomorrow because of a second chance at life. Tomorrow is an idea, a belief, that I have spent most of my life comfortably assuming applied to me. Years of experiencing its arrival day after day with little attention from me inspired an unspoken confidence. I now know the hope of tomorrow can be swept away in the blink of an eye.

My memory of that day is only partial, but I do remember that it was hot. Of course, August 1st in Wilmington is supposed to be hot. That afternoon I was out running errands on my Buell XB12R, went into a small residential area, and woke up the next day in the Surgical Trauma Intensive Care Unit. I can't remember exactly what happened after that last turn and don't know how the wreck began, but according to others and the wreckage of the bike, riding gear, and my body, it is pretty clear how the wreck ended. The Jeep Cherokee and I were traveling in opposite directions at about 40 MPH when we collided head on. My body struck the grill and bumper, fell in front of the Jeep, was run over, became stuck underneath, and was dragged until the Jeep was able to stop. I was pinned underneath, slowly burning, until a good samaritan lifted the Jeep with his own jacks.

Julie, my family, and so many friends have shown me what it means to love someone. I thank God everyday that I am alive, and seek to live my second life to the fullest!

Here are a few of the photos from that chapter of my life.

1 comment:

Phil Breedlove said...

I know this sounds weird, but those pictures were awesome! Whoever thought to take pics during the entire ordeal was pretty smart. It really helps bring his story to life.