Friday, January 30, 2009

A Super Man

As a life-long Dallas Cowboys fan (um, yeah, I know...) it's pretty much impossible for me to cheer for the Steelers in the Super Bowl Sunday. But truth be told, I do really like their team and how they play the game. But, I'm definitely pulling for the Cards this year. In part, because it's such a novelty that they're there. But it's mainly because of Kurt Warner. I know his story of "former grocery store clerk to Super Bowl MVP" has been told ad nauseum, but it's so incredible, how could you not be down with a guy like #13? Kurt's willingness to put "first things first" (as the name of his foundation states) and give all honor and glory to God first is so refreshing. Especially in this day and age of pre-meditated touchdown dance celebrations and $137 million dollar contracts.

I ran across his personal testimony on his website which just makes me pull for the guy even more on Superbowl Sunday...and beyond.

Kurt Warner's Testimony

"I believe that the Lord has a plan for each of us that's better than anything we can imagine--even if that plan isn't obvious to us at every stage. He prepared me for this over a long period of time--in lower-profile locker rooms and the grocery store and in Europe, through all the personal tragedies and in spite of the people who doubted me along the way," Warner explained. "Whether I'm a Super Bowl Champion or a regular guy stocking groceries at the Hy-Vee, sharing my faith and glorifying Jesus is the central focus of my time on this earth. And the fact that I now have a podium, I believe, is no coincidence. I want to be a role model for Christ in everything that I do. Living my life for Him and showing people the beauty of that reality is my mission in life."

"Before I could devote my life to Jesus and start living my life for Him, I had to go through a lot of personal struggles, including a period a few years ago where I got a little caught up in things that aren't important--fame, money, lust...."

Warner suffered a series of disastrous setbacks in his career. He faced financial problems, family problems, even the sudden and tragic death of his wife's parents. All the hurts and the heartbreak caused Kurt to take a good hard look at his life--and what was missing from it. "Growing up I'd always put my life on one side and my relationship with God on the other. I knew God was there, but I only called upon Him when I needed Him or felt compelled to thank Him. Eventually, I realized I needed to live every day for Him."


No matter what happens on Sunday, Kurt Warner will be a winner in my book.

No comments: