Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Best of '08 - Books

Here are the books that made my fave 5 this year...

I'm sure everyone's favorite Macy's Department store elf-turned NPR cornerstone-turned best selling author's latest work made a lot of year-end lists. And it should. Sedaris proves the well is far from dry as he weaves together another bizarre series of shorts and observations on his family, his neurosis and his trip to Japan to quit smoking. One of the few (only?) writers today that constantly makes me laugh out loud as I read him.


4. Jesus Wants To Save Christians - Rob Bell and Don Golden.
I've had to tone back constantly blogging about Rob Bell, as to quash the rumor that I have a man crush on him. Not true. Not true at all. I just love all his books, DVDs and tours. Who doesn't? His new collaboration (or "manifesto" as they call it) with Don Golden is a pretty sobering assessment of what Jesus says about Empires and how we as Christians that also happen to be Americans, should respond.

3. A New Earth- Eckhart Tolle. Oprah but this book on her list and it became quite the rage (you go, girl!) At times, it's a hard book to get through. Not because it's not any good, but because Eckhart (or "Big E" as his buddies call him) is such an intellect that he breaks out some major league spiritual philosophy. Prepare for your mind to be blown.

2. Sins We Love - Randy Rowland. This random find I made in my church library was a real treasure. Rowland is a pastor, the public address announcer for the Seattle Seahawks, and an outstanding writer. He looks at each of the seven deadly sins, why they entice us and offers pragmatic ways to overcome through the fruits of the Spirit.

1. Love is a Mix Tape - Rob Sheffield. A heartbreaking, hilarious, highly addictive novel from legendary Rolling Stone music critic, Rob Sheffield. If you're not a big music fan, then much of the narrative might not mean much, but for a fellow music geek who has long been enamored with what a fantastic writer Sheffield is, this was such an incredible read.

What reads were in your fave 5? Discuss!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5. 1776 by David McCullough - I had no idea we were as close to total disaster and losing the war of independence as we were.
4. Through a Painted Desert by Donald Miller - the best "road trip" story I've ever read. "Illusions" by Richard Bach comes close, but TaPD takes the title.
3. My Beautiful Idol by Pete Gall - "Transparent" doesn't even begin to describe the look inside Pete Gall's thoughts on theology. Some of the writing got amazingly uncomfortable for me at times, but only served to deepen my respect for what Pete had the courage to put down on paper.
2. Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller - The "Confession Booth" scene will stick with me the rest of my life.
1. Serve God, Save the Planet by Matthew Sleeth - I would never have imagined that a "green" book like SGStP would have impacted me the way it has. Even with a few months distance, I find myself ruminating on some of Sleeth's suggestions, and my focus on recycling has dramatically intensified. Sleeth's book opened other doors for me as well, doors that Sleeth didn't mention but I found while looking up other info related to caring for the planet. Example: I've stopped providing chocolate on my desk due to its link to slavery in Central America. Sleeth did something many folks would have thought impossible...he made a social conservative truly care about green issues.