Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Beautiful Idol


Sometimes a book really hits close to home. Such was the case for me with My Beautiful Idol by Pete Gall. Like me, Pete worked in the advertising field and had some internal conflicts about the his chosen profession. I mean, does it really matter how creative you can be in selling teeth whitener or auto parts to people that don't really need either product, when you have the inability to follow all of the 10 Commandments for more than a few days at a time? (Answer: No)

Unlike me, Pete decided to quit the ad industry, move to a new city, devote his life to finding his calling and wrote a book about it.

And an excellent book it is. It's not always easy to read. This one took me a while to process, just because it's packed with so much to think about. His struggles with of what value his 9 to 5 really has in light of the Eternal. His tendency to find himself in dysfunctional relationships on his way to finding "Mrs. Right." His struggles with the temptations that are all to easy to access in the culture we live in. Pete is a fabulous writer, to be sure, but some parts of My Beautiful Idol are so confessional that your first instinct is to run, but it's hard to look away.

No comments: