Friday, September 14, 2007

Answered Prayer


I have a new favorite football player. His name is Kevin Everett. Before last week I had never heard of him. As a UT graduate I've always followed the Vols, so when it comes to the NFL I keep up with the Colts (the Peyton factor) and the Cowboys (as a child of the 70's it was either the 'Boys or the Steelers.) So last Sunday, as I tuned into watch the Cowboys opener versus the Giants, I watched in horror at what happened to Kevin Everett, a tight end for the Buffalo Bills.

He was covering a kickoff. He made the tackle. He dropped immediately to the ground and lay motionless. Now, I have been to football games where there is an injury and they have to cart the player off the field. It is ALWAYS a serious situation. But something about this seemed even more tragic. The tone the announcers took, when describing the prognosis was bleak. They said he'd be rushed to emergency spinal cord surgery, but the prospects of Kevin ever walking again were bleak.

Here is a 25 year old man who is an elite athelete and in the blink of an eye, it may all be taken away. Even though I had never heard of Kevin Everett I said a quick prayer for him, his family, and the doctors. I suspect that millions of people who watched the report or were fans of his did the same thing.

And it worked.

The next day the doctors said there was really no way to describe his progress. His own mom called it a miracle.

Now, certainly Kevin has miles and miles to go before he can even walk again, let alone ever play professional football. So let's keep the prayers going for he and his family and his doctors. After all, I think he's become a lot of peoples' favorite player.

No comments: