Friday, August 27, 2010

Rainbows

A friend of mine told me a great story. He looked out the window one morning and saw this incredibly beautiful rainbow. He said it was so stunning, he got super excited.

OK, not as excited this guy.



But that was only because he saw a SINGLE rainbow, not a DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAY!!! Nonetheless, my friend said it was incredible and so he went downstairs to grab his younger daughter to show it to her.
So she comes upstairs, looks out the window and screams with delight. I'm not sure if she broke into tears like double rainbow guy, but she was estatic.

After a minute or two, she belts out "OH THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!"

So my friend, naturally, thinks about what an awesome dad he is and says to his little girl, "You're welcome, sweetie."

At that point, he said she shot him this look and said, "Not YOU...I'm thanking God!"

Which is just so brilliant.

I think that story perfectly illustrates what Jesus tells us about having a heart and faith like that of a child. So many times we think it's all about us. But it's really about the maker of us. That level of appreciation and gratitude is what God wants.

So while it's easy to make fun of double rainbow guy for being so over the top, the more I think about it, maybe he's onto something...

No comments: