Friday, May 28, 2010

Heaven is Whenever

My roller-coaster search for a job continues. Lately I had a job interview where I was quite sure that I nailed it and a job offer would be forthcoming.

The people I interviewed with didn't get that memo.

So while I was bummed about that gig not working out, I have had several other opportunities come up. I get cautiously optimistic, not wanting to get too excited for fear that I will "jinx" it and lose out once again.

The whole process is very draining. But I do sense that I'm traveling along the path and that there's a bigger picture being painted. My problem is that I just want to hit fast-forward and get to the end, where I have a great new job and my life becomes Easy Like Sunday Morning.

God doesn't really work that way. I want him to, but where's the fun is that, really?

I was reminded of that recently with this great quote I saw by Craig Finn in the latest issue of Rolling Stone. Finn was talking about his excellent band (The Hold Steady) and their excellent new album (Heaven is Whenever). As The Hold Steady like to do, it's a concept album, and Finn was explaining his concept behind the record:

"I was thinking a lot about struggle and reward - about how the struggle is part of the reward. With anything you care about, from having a relationship to being in a rock & roll band, there are going to be days that suck. The key is understanding those days as part of the euphoria. If you're playing a show for 20 people somewhere in the middle of South Dakota, you can't think, "We just have to get through this, and it'll get awesome.' It has to all be awesome."

I've got to fully adopt this state of mind. That whether it's finding a new job or finding my path and becoming the man God wants me to be, some days are going to be a struggle. But that's part of the beauty. It only magnifies the view from the top when you get there.

It's time to experience heaven wherever and whenever.

No comments: