Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Inskip

Thoughts and prayers to the two principals shot today at Inskip Elementary. My agency is literally right next door to Inskip. So we've spent most of the afternoon on "lock-down." No one allowed to come in or out. Cops everywhere around our building. Helicopters in the sky. A very surreal, scary moment.

Today has made me think of a couple things. One, it has renewed my hatred of guns. I personally see nothing but pain and heartbreak when a gun is involved. I get that it is a person's "right" to have one. I just don't understand it. But given my history with them, I guess that makes sense.

Second, today was a good reminder that sometimes God may have more going on than we realize. Today Knox County schools closed early for the snow. Now, I hear DC has 28 inches on the ground. We have a light dusting of snow that was already off the roads as I went to pick my daughter up early from school. Throughout the day I, and others, cracked jokes about the fact that Knox County was letting out because of the "blizzard" we are experiencing.

But, if I understand the timeline correctly, all students were out of the building at Inskip when the gunman came to the school. Because of the snow.

A tragic day, but a good reminder of how God works miracles in the midst of this world's chaos.

1 comment:

Noah said...

Great post, strong message... definitely food for thought. The wisest school closing due to a slight dusting yet! No doubt the person or persons responsible for shutting down knox county schools early was listening to their heart.