Monday, December 14, 2009

Our gifts

This weekend, I got one of the best early Christmas presents ever. I had taken my two wild childs out to buy their Christmas gifts for Mommy. I was proud because they used their own money that they had earned from doing chores. And they picked her out some great things, wrapped them and made personal notes for each one. My wife is gonna love all they put into these gifts that literally each cost less than $4 each.

But I guess my son thought I was being left out. So he went outside, found a walnut, brought it inside and wrapped it for me. In tin foil.

It was seriously one of the greatest gifts I'd ever been given. Because it was so heartfelt and genuine. Because I wasn't expecting it. Because it was from him.

Reflecting on it later, I felt like God probably wants more gifts like that from me. Less big wordy prayers full of boastful promises (I'm NEVER gonna lose my temper again! I'm not going to have a lustful thought ALL WEEK!) and more real, genuine praise and love. Why get caught up in how "fancy" or "perfect" my accomplishments, wants or desires are...and instead just give him more of myself?

Yeah - that makes too much sense. No wonder I hadn't thought of it before. Thanks to my 4 year old for showing me how it's done.

No comments: