Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Vick's Second Chance


I've been wrestling with what to think about Michael Vick for a while. He appeared on 60 Minutes giving his first interview since being released from prison. The more I think about it, I'm glad he's getting a chance and applaud the Eagles for giving him a shot.

Let me be clear: I in no way, shape or form condone what Vick did. It was inhumane and disgusting. He deserved to go to jail and lose his status as a franchise NFL Quarterback. (not to mention $135 Million in endorsements).

But I believe that he deserves a second chance. Not because he deserves it, per se, but because God is a God of second chances. Time and time again in the Bible, God is in the business of giving second chances to people who made serious mistakes or lapses in judgement.

Imagine if Moses didn't have a second chance after killing the Egyptian.

Imagine if Paul didn't get a second chance before he got on that road to Damascaus.

Imagine if David didn't get a second chance after falling for Bathshebia.

Imagine if Peter didn't get a second chance after denying Jesus three times.

And on...and on....and on...

Whether or not Michael Vick makes the most of his second chance is up to him. But I do believe that good can come from his life and example going forward. I'll be pulling for him to make the most of it. (Just not the 2x of year that the Eagles play my Cowboys.)

1 comment:

Phil Breedlove said...

Ugh!
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/24/dungy-calls-out-vick-for-alcohol-consumption/