Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Flickering Pixels

I'm in the middle of a great read, Flickering Pixels by Shane Hipps It's a look at how technology shapes your faith (the subtitle says so!) As I find myself in battling my Twitter/FB/Web addictions, I must say I picked it up with a bit of trepidation. But I know my man Rob Bell is a big Shane Hipps fan (the quote from Bell on the back of Flickering Pixels says that Hipps constantly "blows my mind." Works for me!) so I figured it was worth checking out.

I figured right.

I'll have a full write up when I finish. But here's one passage (at the end of chapter 4) that has really spoken to me:

"Knowing God comes through direct experience. This experience blooms in a wide-open heart where desire burns fiercely and freely. In this way, desire is the path to experiencing God. Desire in all its forms. Even our dark desires, the ones we're most fearful and ashamed of, the ones we call sin. Even those desires are merely disfigured drives searching for the divine in counterfeit form. If we pay attention to them, own them, and push beneath them by peeling back layer upon layer of desire, we eventually find our Original Desire -- the deepest longing that leads us home."

No comments: