Monday, June 8, 2009

The Spirit at Work

Have you ever been in a situation where you truly feel the Holy Spirit at work? I must admit, it hasn't happened to me many times at all. But it did this weekend. It was an amazing and beautiful experience that I'll always treasure.

I was teaching in our Sunday School class as we continued our study of Max Lucado's Traveling Light. To be honest, I was dreading leading this course because it was a chapter about the burden of grief, centered around the verse about "walking through the valley of the shadow of death..."

Not exactly the feel-good hit of the summer.

So our class is really packed, and it starts with everyone talking about their beach vacation trips. Then I start in (cue Debbie Downer music) as Captain Buzzkill talking about the heaviest of topics. I mean really heavy stuff. The chapter opens with a story about a 3 year old that died of leukemia. Couples suffering miscarriages. Divorces. You name it.

Like I said, not the feel-good hit of the summer.

I was really struggling through teaching (some would argue that this is nothing new) when the Holy Spirit really moved across us. People started sharing stories about their own grief, in beautiful, touching ways. Tears were shed. While the stories were different, you could feel a common connection and closeness emerging.

As I listened to this amazing people share these stories of struggles and losses they had experienced in their own lives, I felt a wave of peace and strength. That these would be some of the people God will use when my chips are down and I walk through the Valley myself. What a blessing.

And to think, a Psalm written thousands of years ago is more relevant than ever. Amazing. Praise God!

No comments: