Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tale from a Tailgate

Won't be able to post to much this week. Part of this is due to the fact that my beloved boys in Orange have rendered me speechless when they ripped my heart out of my chest. Then jumped up and down on it with their cleats. Then poured salt into my wide open chest cavity. All because they just had to turn a WALK-ON-THIRD-STRING QUARTERBACK INTO JOE FREAKIN' MONTANA!!! All in the course of one half.

Damn you, Mustang package!

So, while I figure out exactly how long it is until basketball season starts, I'll also be traveling for my sister's wedding. For some reason, she has asked me to be the emcee at the wedding reception. I can't figure if I'll tell embarrassing stories from her childhood, rock a few freestyle lyrics, or pull an "Adam Sandler" from "The Wedding Singer" and berate the crowd about how being a UT football fan is quickly taking years off my life. Probably all of the above.

Until then, I will share this one interesting story a friend of mine had over the weekend. Her and her husband are Georgia fans (isn't that convenient) and were in Athens for the 'Dawgs opening game. Oh, to cheer for a team ranked #1 in the country that actually takes care of an opponent they're supposed to beat. But I digress...

She was at her tailgate party after the game when she noticed this guy stealing a cooler from the tailgate next door. She said "hey, you can't take that...it's not yours." The guy then got inches in front of her face and said "The Lord told me I could have this."

To quote Keanu, "Whoa!"

She said "Excuse me?" and then the guy went into a string of explicitives, and said that basically the Lord has taken away everything in his life and so now he's ok with giving him this cooler. Which happened to be full of beer. And cottage cheese.

Far be it from me to say how the Lord works, or talks, to another person. I have a hard enough time trying to be in tune with how he speaks to me. But I really, really, really don't think that God would tell this guy it's ok to steal the cooler. I'm no expert, but I think the "no stealing" thing is covered in the Good Book (it's towards the beginning).

But what was interesting to me was the bartering system the guy described...."God has taken away EVERYTHING from me...so it's ok if I take this."

It just sounds so ridiculous from the outside. But then I realized there's plenty of bartering that I've done with God that must have sounded just as silly to Him. Like last nite when I said, "Please, if you'll just let Lincoln make this 34 yarder, then I'll....."

No comments: